Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hitchhiking Tutorial #2 - The Art of the Game

Hitchhiking, or also known as “good old thumbing”, “hitching”, “autostop” (a term mainly used in Eastern Europe) or “thumbing up a ride” (a term I did not know before), is a great way of travelling around. I believe this mode of transportation to be so kool that I have decided to write a short tutorial about it (I could have written a whole book, believe me!).

If you have been following my blog (click here for old posts), you would have noticed that I already have quite some hitchhiking experiences. I have been hitchhiking all across Europe, both East, West and Central Europe. I also hitched in England, Ireland, Russia, China and Mongolia. In retrospect, I would have loved if somebody would have introduced me to some of the fundamentals behind hitching when I started. It would have saved me a few days waiting on the side of the road with my proudly self-made signs. Unfortunately, there was not a lot on the Web and I did not know any hitchers, so I had to all figure all out myself. That is something I am going to change on this blog! Well, at least I hope to give my small contribution to all hitchhikers out there!

On this blog I intend to go through some of the fundamentals of hitchhiking. I also will give you some tips about what to say to drivers when in the car and what not to mention (beyond the obvious things of course). I have had a large variety of drivers ranging from gypsies, policeman to drug dealers and IRA members. So…. trust me I know a little bit about the dangers and the joys.

I will also give you some practical tips on where to stand and what to write on your signs (if you decide to use any). If you have any question during the postings, feel free to drop them in the comments. I will answer them as soon as I can.

Next time: #2 Hitchhiking - where to start?

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right! Not much has been written about hitching! I look foward reading more!

Nice blog by the way!

Mark

Osselin said...

Hi! Many thanks for visiting my blog. In the past I had very positive experiences about hitching. Hitching is, with lots of patience many times, the more absolute impression of freedom, to travel without plans lessing that life and karma drives our lives at random. Hitching is to discover hidden paradises always not in a hurry. HItching is , meavy, a sweet digestion of life.
Nowadays the river of my life is calmed, I'm a "pater familias" and hitching is a bittersweet regard at a time when all were possible.
About your PhiD i think it is really correct because , in a logical way, chinese (and problably other in Asia) people.will be the owners of the world. But, probably, would be very interesting to search in which way the dark face of capitalism will afect chinese people. This dark face will arrive, as many times in the history, when the middle-class society proportion will increase. That intelectual especulation is, I think, a very good line of searching in a tesis. Just looking at the history, middle-class is always behind revolution.
Will be very interesting think to assist to a middle-class burgese contrarevolution in a near future.
Well this is only a short exercise of irony.