Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hitchhiking #4- Conversating with your driver


Last time I discussed how and where to hitchhike, this time I will shortly discuss something which is by and large still ignored by many – “the conversation with your driver".

It might be a seemingly easy practice, but talking to your driver is a fundamental aspect of hitchhiking. The conversation starts, the moment when your first make eye contact. This is most likely, as described in my previous post, to be at a gas station. This will be the moment when the driver has to take the decision to take you in his car or not. If you look hesitant, the driver will also be hesitant. However, if you begin the conversation with a smile, the driver will be reply in the same way. Being positive, or at least looking positive (what I always do), is important to get your hitch fixed fast. I normally don’t want longer than 30 minutes at traffic light or gas stations (depending on the traffic, naturally).

Once you are in the car, the conversation gets contents. When you are touring for a long time, it is likely that you will have personal conversation about his/ her divorce, dog, children etc. I remember one time being in a car, while the driver was telling me how much he made on his last cocaine delivery…

The most important thing is to remain polite/ nice/ natural sop that you will never create a bad atmosphere in the car. This is sometimes difficult as you perhaps completely oppose the driver's ideas (e.g. rascism), but you are not going to gain a lot by telling him off. Instead be smart and not too provocative. I am not saying that you should be Mr. nice guy, I am just telling you to use common sense.

What is the reason to do so? Well, for starters you create a much better atmosphere in the car, which then allows you to feel safer as well. Secondly, if the driver likes you if will even drive you a tad further than his initial destination (happens often). Third, the driver might give you a bonus (in France I got lots of restaurant tickets, which I could use for restaurants at gas stations on the motorway. I also was invited a couple of times at the driver’ home, something which I enjoy as it allows you to indulge in the local culture.

There are of course exceptions. It is sad to say that I heard many stories of drivers getting sexually offensive (yes, to both sexes). Personally, I had such an experience only once with a guy that put his hand on my leg. At moments like those, act fast and brutal. Tell the driver first politely that you don’t like being harassed. If it happens a second time, act fast and brutal - tell him to “F off” and threaten him if deemed necessary. This might sound harsh, but believe me it is better to bite than to only bark.

A lot of hitchhikers bring weapons with them while hitching. I always carry a pair of scissors (never had to use them though). Why not a knife? Well a pair of scissors is a good weapon in case of emergency and it will never give you any trouble getting across borders.

Most of this advise is just simple common sense, but when used in practice it will prove you very useful.

Next time: Hitchhiking #4 - Hitchhiking Signs

0 Comments: