Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Satellite Dishes

Has been some time since my last post, was busy writing the first draft of my first chapter of my PhD. Dealing with globalisation or better a critique of the globalisation literature. Would not want to bore you too much with my argument. However, one of the things I raised was the inherent connection between technology and capitalism. Not only how capitalism feeds innovative technological breakthroughs, but also how this affects the concepts of time and space.

A good example of this is the increase of TV satellite dishes in aesthetic landscape of Western European cities. The mushrooming of satellite dishes on rooftops and balconies marks the underlying emigration of (especially) Turkish families to Western countries. One could argue that the dishes destroy the aura of traditional landscapes or one could observe that these communicative devices actually hyperlise the static picture of a forgotten modernity. Or should we perhaps just accept the change without judgement? I don't know.







1 Comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.