Friday, March 07, 2008

Revolutionary Love

I always believed that love as a political instrument is a vastly under-researched concept in both journalism and among academics. I hate to sound like a hippie, but I reckon that with a reconceptionalised experience of love and what it is (and perhaps what love should be), the world could be a better, i.e. more democratic and equal, place.

Love as immanence so to say. Like in a poem of Pessoa:

I'm nothing.
I'll allways be nothing.
I can't even wish to be something.
Aside from that, I've got all the world's dream inside me.

I think this is what Hardt is arguing (or what he tends to argue) for in the uploaded video files below. I am sorry I should explain who that is. Hardt is a neo-Marxian theorist, who wrote together with Negri the manifesto for the anti-globalisation movement: "Empire". If you are up for it, you can find your free copy here.

Enjoy the lecture (about 30 mins)

Part 1


Part 2


Part 3


Part 4


Part 5


Part 6

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

This is lifted from either Jürgen Moltmann or Johann Metz (I can't remember which) and outlines the basic drive of what is known as (radical) political theology. I find it very exciting. I think the book was called "Love's Strategy" What do you think?

"Christian theology should interrupt any ignoring of human suffering, all suppression of human value. Without the edges of both grief and hope, theology becomes banal. It ceases to be the praxis of discipleship and becomes instead a mere ornament that sacralises the structures of power and control bent on crushing human dignity and hope. Discipleship is praxis, the thoughtful, value-laden enacting of love. Without a concrete strategy, however, love and hope are shapeless. They become merely believed-in discipleship, merely believed-in love, and merely believed-in hope. So much our culture encourages us to continue doing business as usual while speaking of Christian love. But Christian love takes sides, it judges, it acts for and against. It is easy to forget our call to be and to authorise others to be full, free, human persons."

Anonymous said...

Conceit is the quicksand of success.

-----------------------------------