Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Battle of Algiers

When I lived in Paris, I remember always being surprised by the lack of general or critical discussions on the issue of the France- Algeria conflict. I remember asking an Algerian about this and if there was any public debate in his country. He argued "In France they are afraid of destroying the Douce France pictures the world has and in Algeria we are afraid of bringing back the Tead".


As I am not compelled to protect France's culture nor obliged to take Algeria's grief in consideration, I would like to give you La Battaglia di Algeri (Battle of Algiers) (1966). I reckon it to be well worth of your time, as it is by far the best movie ever made on the subject and argued to be one of the best films ever made.

Plot: La Battaglia di Algeri show the Algerian revolution from both sides. The French foreign legion has left Vietnam in defeat and has something to prove. The Algerians are seeking independence. The two clash. The torture used by the French is contrasted with the Algerian's use of bombs in soda shops. A look at war as a nasty thing that harms and sullies everyone who participates in it.


Really astonishing, mark my words

0 Comments: