Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ulan Baatar

This will be my last post on Mongolia. I have decided to fly over Russia (yes, that country that is most hostile towards tourists) into Berlin to enjoy some (continental) European culture. My departure has nothing to do with Mongolia or the lack beauty of the country. Don´t get me wrong, I believe it is truly a beautiful country and I recommend everybody to go there! I am just getting a bit tired and would love to go back to a place where I can actually understand the people (if only linguistically) and where it is easier to get around (if only for a short time).

The last 7 days of my stay in Mongolia I have spend in the country´s capital: Ulan Baator. Although the city is definitely not the most attractive tourist hot spot, it is certainly worth a visit while you are there.

Representing UB´s newest street gang

The city embraces the new Mongolian spirit. The country has since the breaking of the Soviet Union been in a transitionary stage from a centrally planned economy to a free market one (or in simple words "from communism to capitalism"). This change is most noticeable in UB, as it is now possible to buy Loius Vuitton bags (most probably fake, but still) and watch expensive Land Rovers cruising over bad asphalted roads.

UB´s sky line

The political-economic shift also allowed inequality to rise within the country´s border (Ca. 30 per cent of the population now lives below the poverty line), something which is very visible in UB and its surrounding suburbs. Talking about the spread of migration to the cities; UB´s population has grown with almost 100 percent in the last 10 years (from 0,5 mln in 1995 to mln in 2006). This causes massive problems in terms of the city´s expansive infrastructure (water, sanitary, roads, electricity etc). I personally felt this during the abrupt electricity and warm water cuts while I was there.

Young Budhist monk

There is much more to say about Mongolia´s development; about its challenges in finding a competitive edge over its neighbours or its abundant natural resources (which increasingly seem to fall into Chinese hands) or about the expansive Gobi Desert (Gobi Sand storms now already hit Japan). But I really don't want to bore anyone with that sort of information. The only thing I can say is that Mongolia is more than mutton, milk and beautiful sceneries. It is also a country with beautiful people, which have however major challenges ahead of them.

Love,

Marijn

Ps. Buyana and husband: Congratulations with your baby!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Vette shit! :)

Goed om te lezen dat het nog goed met je gaat en wellicht zie ik je nog eens in Rotterdamn.