Saturday, April 28, 2007

Work

A bit later than anticipated, but here is finally my new post :). The last weeks we (all of the Eco City Staff) organised our concluding symposium. The event was a great success; we received between 200 and 300 guests, most of which were government officials from different Municipal and Provincial State Bureaus.


There were a range of presentations from national and international experts, which had/ have been involved in the Programme's activities. I reckon that everybody had a great time and I was lucky enough to have an interesting discussion with a representative from the German Embassy (you never know J ).

Last Thursday we had another meeting, this time more a kind of an evaluation workshop. However, this time it was my turn to present my findings on the Focus Group discussions I held among the residents/ end- beneficiaries of our Eco City Programme. Although, both these events were interesting and stimulating I am happy that all is over now.

The Chinese "Golden Week" is coming closer, which means that I will be enjoying a well-deserved one-week holiday! I am leaving with two friends to Xiamen, which according to an Indian friend I met in Harbin is the most relaxing city in China. I am very much looking forward to being there and I will definitely inform all of you on my experiences in the next posting!

Before I leave you to your own " Koninginnedag " I attached some photos of the old city of Yangzhou. The old city of Yangzhou has been restored with the help of the Programme and was for its preservation efforts rewarded with the UN Habitat Award.

I give you a lot of love and hope that everybody is looking forward to a beautiful summer!

Marijn

The houses have been restored in their traditional condition (i.e. original bricks, newly paved streets and doors restored to their original color/ shape etc)

Trees/ Plants have been planted to make the old city more liveable and prettier.

Beautiful Yangzhou

0 Comments: